Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Getting Real with author Bekah Hamrick Martin


  • Here's some advice from author Bekah Hamrick Martin on Getting Real...

    It's not every day you're entertaining company and suddenly realize your toddler has carried your bra into the living room.
    Kids have a way of keeping things real. There was no doubt to anyone in my house what my cup size was. (And if you think I'm announcing that info here--I'm not keepin' it that real… today.)
    I say all this to admit that I struggle with the BEING REAL thing. But not in the way you might expect. Most of the time (when it comes to things OTHER than my bra color/size), I am apt to share too much information.
    Recently my husband did something hysterically funny. And in the midst of the laughter he looked at me and asked, "What can I do to keep this off the blog and out of the newspaper?"
    It was then that I realized I had a problem. (Okay, I kind of knew before then.) I like to write. I like to keep it real in what I write. But maybe… just maybe… some guidelines were in order.
    Here's what I've got:
    -If it's about someone else, especially family… ask. Sincerely.
    -If it's about yourself, but still involves someone else… ask.
    -If you are sharing really personal info (like this post where I talk about something painful from my past http://misswritebrained.wordpress.com/2012/12/09/why-i-wept-in-the-church-pew/)… is it redemptive? Does it give hope? Or are you just emotionally venting (is there a safer place to do that)?
    And that's pretty much all. Just show some courtesy. To yourself and to others. Because heaven knows you don't want anyone parading your panties in front of the company.

    ****

    Bekah Hamrick Martin(www.bekahhamrickmartin.com) is a southern writer whose most recent project happens to involve being Bare Naked real http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Naked-Truth-Dating-Waiting/dp/0310734029/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353286391&sr=1-1&keywords=bekah+hamrick+martin)

    Betsy here - I can't WAIT for Bekah's debut nonfiction release coming in April - The Bare Naked Truth About Dating. It's going to be a must read for any teen girl in your life!

1 comment: