Thursday, March 14, 2013

Delilah drama

More of my thoughts from this past episode of The Bible on the History channel! I didn't enjoy this segment as much as the first, though it was really great seeing David. (I still think he should have been played by Viggo Mortensen ::grin::)

I watched some of it in fast forward, since this episode had considerably more violence and war scenes, and it was late and I was sleepy. I DID really enjoy the beginning, where it showed Rahab being spared. Loved that. Such a crucial part of Jesus' lineage! So glad they got that right.

I think the segment with Samson and Delilah fell a little flat, however. Probably, for me, because it wasn't as accurate according to the real Bible as other portions of this show have been. Again, things were cut for the sake of time, but in this instance, I felt those eliminations had substitutions that weren't necessarily true.

For example - in the Bible, where this story is told in Judges 16, Delilah asked Samson three times for the secret of his power. He told her wrong every time until she became more upset and pouty. Samson was aware, clearly, of her pending betrayal at least to some degree, because for each lie he told her about the secret to his strength, she attempted to take it out. So it wasn't nearly the betrayal and shock that it was portrayed on the show.

Look:

So Delilah said to Samson, “Tell me the secret of your great strength and how you can be tied up and subdued.”
Samson answered her, “If anyone ties me with seven fresh bowstrings that have not been dried, I’ll become as weak as any other man.”
Then the rulers of the Philistines brought her seven fresh bowstrings that had not been dried, and she tied him with them. With men hidden in the room, she called to him, “Samson, the Philistines are upon you!” But he snapped the bowstrings as easily as a piece of string snaps when it comes close to a flame. So the secret of his strength was not discovered.
10 Then Delilah said to Samson, “You have made a fool of me; you lied to me. Come now, tell me how you can be tied.”
11 He said, “If anyone ties me securely with new ropes that have never been used, I’ll become as weak as any other man.”
12 So Delilah took new ropes and tied him with them. Then, with men hidden in the room, she called to him, “Samson, the Philistines are upon you!” But he snapped the ropes off his arms as if they were threads.
13 Delilah then said to Samson, “All this time you have been making a fool of me and lying to me. Tell me how you can be tied.”

It goes on from there. But you see my point? Very different from what was portrayed in the film.
Another huge difference was about Samson's wife (not Delilah, the first woman whom he actually married). In the movie, it was portrayed as they killed her to get to Samson. Not true. In the real Bible, the story is very different and a little more complicated. You can read it here:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Judges+13-16&version=NIV
Anyway - I'm still so very glad they made this movie and that it's so popular. People are being exposed to Bible stories and the Gospel (coming up) that wouldn't have been otherwise. That's amazing and so powerful. God can use anything for His glory!

If you really want to read something cool, check this out:  http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/06/mark-burnett-bible-set/   SWEET :)

No comments:

Post a Comment