Wednesday, November 7, 2012

When to ask, and when to trust...

This is a hard line in the sand for me to determine when dealing with a storm or crisis in life - When to ask? And when to trust?

I think the answer really lies in fully embracing both.

We're supposed to trust. We're supposed to 100% believe that God's "got this". Whatever "it" might be. We're supposed to rest in His promises. Believe Him. Let Him be enough to get us through.

But the Bible also tells us to ask.

James 4:2 You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask.

and

John 14:13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.

God wants us to call out to Him, to ask for His blessings, His interference, His divine power. He delights in that, I'm convinced of it. He delights in seeing our trust, our hope, our belief that He is all powerful, all knowing, all present. That He is compassionate and kind and gracious and merciful and loves bestowing gifts on His children. That is all true.

YET...at the same time... I can't help but feel deep in my spirit that the following is also truth.

"Lord, YOUR will."

Because I dare not ask for otherwise.

Think about it.

Do we really want anything outside of God's will? If God gave us the choice, what would you choose? For example - say there was a job you REALLY wanted. It was more money, it was better hours, it was, in your mind, ideal. You begged God to land you the job. You pleaded and prayed and knew it just had to be the best thing for everyone involved. How could it NOT be??

So what if God gave you the choice? Said "you know what? I didn't have this in mind for you. This was not on my original, perfect plan for you. But you want this, so if you're really sure, then take it. But it's not my will."

SCARY.

What would we choose? Would we trust God's perspective on the whole picture and trust His perfect will and plan? Or would we demand what we wanted in our limited scope and barrel forward and later pay the consequences?

Puts it all in a new perspective, doesn't it? A little sobering.

So while today the battle cry of my heart is still pleading with God to stop the current hurricane in my life...I'm praying for His will.

Because I dare not ask for otherwise.

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I'm struggling with this too, I don't have the answer but I think it's Bc we can o ly see what we want. We don't know what God has for us but we fear what it may be Bc we are afraid of the unknown,
    One time I realized and try to remind myself who has ever fully given their life to The Lord and been unhappy? I can't think of anyone yet I hold back because i don't know I'd I "like" what He has for me, I think it's our sin nature, and for us to contemplate Gods will or our own shows we are aware and desire to live with The Lord causing Satan to want us more. Why would satan want to go after an easy target. So the the tug of war lives on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new blog and your thoughts and fresh perspectives are truly inspiring, Betsy! Great stuff!!

    ReplyDelete